Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to choose your spells

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
UnleashChaos
Administrator
UnleashChaos

How to choose your spells Empty
PostSubject: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Fireball - automatic (G)

Scourge- automatic (F)

D spells:
Lightning- Greater knockback than the other D spells, more difficult to land though. Also the fastest offensive spell. Hard to dodge if aimed well. Combo possibilities.(2)

Boomerang- Can hit multiple targets, as its name says it, it goes and back. Can be dodge quite easily in a far reach or very difficult in a small reach. You can make it bounces on pillars (no time limit), you can make it turn around you, you can also have more than 1 at a time. Weak combos (cause it wastes R spell).

Homing- Follows someone for a certain time, if shielded it will return on you or another warlock. Easiest D spell to dodge. Not very fast. Average combo possibility.

My analysis: For beginners, boomerang may be the best choice, and still be in average fights and games with more than 6 people. Lightning, is the best for 1v1s and still awesome in less than 6 people matches, should be chosen when you're in average fights to good ones (and pro). Homing is quite the underpowered, but still can prove itself good especially in team fights.

R spells:
Teleport- Fastest R spell and the only one that cant be shielded. Best for more than 6 people games, it counters many combos. Great combo possibilities.

Thrust- The only R spell that deals damage. Can counter many teleport combos and teleport itself to keep the pace on your opponent(s), average in many people fights. Great combo possibilities. Don't spam it, it's ridiculous.

Swap- (Untoggled) Switch position with someone or something (spells, pillars), slow, if shielded, you are sent back. Good when you're in disavantage (on the edge), cause you can inverse the situation. Suck in many people fights. Fast combos, hardest to avoid.
(Toggled)- Switch position with pillars only. Better than the untoggled one for many people fights but still not the best. Reduces combos, but improves chance to do the ones that are still possible to do.

My analysis: I personnaly prefer teleport because it's the fastest and you are sure to not be hit by spells on your way. Thrust is also good, but slower and can be stopped by shield. Swap is awesome too but fails against shielders, but good to reverse a bad situation. So every R spell has its utility and weaknesses, teleport is just my favorite. If you're very good with R spells, a teleport can counter a swap, swap can counter thrust and thrust can counter teleport.

T spells:
Drain- (Untoggled) Leeches life from the one that it hits, and reduces its movement speed. Recoils on shield. When you're in lava it gives you a small bonus on your chance to survive. Awesome overall but can hit only one spell which is not the case of the other T spells. Good with any spells (helps to land the others). Bounce on pillar.
(Toggled)- Also leeches life (less), halves all damage your opponent will do. Used with rush, you're almost invincible Razz. Also reduce speed. But harder to land than the untoggled one. Both modes are easy to dodge, both do the opposite effect on a teammate.

Fire spray- (Untoggled) More missiles than the toggled one, more range than the toggled one. Less damage per missile. Send missiles in a small cone. Does more damage to you if shielded than the toggled version.
(Toggled) - Only 5 missiles, less range, more damage per missile, larger cone, if shielded, only one of the missiles can hit you if you're not teleporting on another. Greater knockback i think. Both shouldnt be casted on shield (especially near) cause the knockback is big.

Bouncer- Will bounce from target to another or you (no damage to you). Lose power on hit (less damage per target) If shielded, it can go back on you. Nice combo but hard to do. Can bounce on pillars.

My analysis: For many people games, Bouncer or fire spray would be better, while drain would be better for less people. But fire spray is also good in 1v1. And drain is a must in team fights. Bouncer full effect is VERY hard to obtain. I prefer fire spray (toggled), but drain is very close.

E spells:
Meteor (Untoggled)- Easy to dodge, does AOE damage, slow, powerful. Good for many people games and shielders (shield cant block it). Kinda useless combos.
(Toggled)- Easy to dodge, does damage on its run and explode at the end dealing AOE damage too. slow too, less powerful. Shield blocks it. Great combos with it.

Wind Walk (Untoggled)- You go invisible, damage the other on contact. Shield cannot block. Makes you faster. Spells can still hit you though.
(Toggled)- Doesnt deal damage on contact. Good to confuse your opponent, less speed bonus. You can cast spells and still stay invisible which isnt the case of the untoggled one, briefly give your opponent(s) a sight of you (with a delay of 0.5 seconds approximately).

Splitter (Untoggled)- Deals AOE damage, VERY easy to hit your target(s) with it. Hella knockback if cast on shield and near. Counter wind walk with ease. One of the best spell against teleporters also. Divises into 5 missiles after some times that do less damage.Weak combo compared to the toggled version.
(Toggled) Shoots missiles in every direction, can move or stay still (if cast on you). Smaller damage, can hit more people, poor knockback, doesnt recoil on shield, Better combo.

My analysis: If i want to have some very good combos, i chose meteor (toggled), but not for team fights or 1v1s. I usually take splitter (untoggled) because it is versatile. But wind walk is very good for few people matches. By preference untoggled for 1v1s. Splitter (toggled) with his combo is awesome in many people games (6 big minimum) and meteor untoggled is the underpowered in my opinion and wind walk toggled is better in team matches i think.

C spells:
Rush- Good for many people games (the more spells that land on you the faster you go), halves the damage you'll receive. It also decreases knockback slightly. Only one combo. Kinda bad for few people games or games that has -league B on and not much gold (4 and less). Still, some europeans use it in 1v1s and they are incredible.

Shield- Awesome, can recoil most of the spells. And those spells dont hurt you at all! No real problems except if you use it bad. No real combos (except with teleport)

Time shift- Confuse your opponent(s), can be perceived. All damage dealt is removed when the spell actives, but the knockback you may have received on cast will be dealt again when the spell will active. The damage you take is remove talkin about hitpoints but stay for mana (knockback damage).Can demoralize your opponent(s) also Smile . Only one true combo but kinda gay -.-

My analysis: Timeshift is better for few people games (2-6), shield is better for 1-8 but good with more also. Rush is good for 8-12 people, but not if you're gonna be the target of many people. I prefer shield, rush and timeshift are better for more experienced brawlers. All the C spells are good, but i think rush is the underdog, timeshift is the medium and shield is the best.

Y spells:
Link (Untoggled)- Attract one person to you if it touches it. Easy to send people in lava with it, risky against good players. Deal slight damage all the way. You can send yourself on a pillar if you link one. Recoils on shield. Requires timing. Great combos.
Link (Toggled) - Deals greater damage, also deal damage to yourself, doesnt attract target to you. Deal a high damage ray if you send on a pillar, but damage you greatly too. Very bad in my opinion.

Entangle- The person that spell hit will be immobilized for a certain amount of time, fast missile. But the target still can cast spells, including R spells,shield sends it back, good when someone is in lava. One of the most awesome combo.

Gravity (Untoggled): Cannot be blocked by shield, great to find the location of invisible people, attracts people on its way. Easy to land other spells with it. Nice combo. Can bounce on pillars like a molecule.
Good for many people games.
(Toggled)- Create a circle on the targeted location and people that are in it are GREATLY slowed, receive damage also. Easier to dodge and/or to get out. Great against people in lava and 6-8 people games. I didnt find combo(s) with it but i dont play with it, but i guess drain would be nice with it Smile.

My analysis: If you want to beat people 1 by 1, link would be better. Entangle is the underpowered even though the combo is great. And gravity is only useful against many players. Y spells arent necessary in 1v1s, but great in team fights. I personnaly prefer link, but link also requires more timing than other spells and also boot of speeds if you want to make your opponent turn around you.

For combos explication, check my other topic.
P.S: Every spell is good if you use it correctly, i just put all the pros and cons, but still you can find more pros or more cons. Just try every spells and try to make yourself a build.

My personnal build for 1v1s: Fireball, Scourge, Lightning, Teleport, Fire Spray (Toggled), Splitter (Untoggled), Shield, Link (this last one is optionnal i only take it for fun, but in a serious 1v1 i do not).
For many people: same thing but gravity instead of link and splitter (toggled). But i keep link sometimes for fun Smile.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey
The Legend

PostSubject: Re: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 10:41 am

MY D spell analysis: Each spells of D column can do something great. Lightning easy to combo, Bommer, fairly easy to hit and homing, U can use it as aoe And is almost 100% hit chance if you know how to use it. Ive seen people use them greatly, so i dont have any recomandation.

MY R spell analysis: Let's not talk about swap, so many noobs on the forum cried about it being op, cuz it had advantages on thrust and teleport. Now the advantages? they made it slow so you can have time to watch the great warlock arena landscape. Isnt that great?
SO i dont suggest swap to anyone. But now, teleport and thrust. In my opinion, those spells are really balanced, its a choice u have to do and wont have any disavantages if u chose one of them. WHile Teleport is instant, fast thrust is a bit slower, but deals damage and knockback. Some say thrust is op, cuz they suck with teleport(not fast enough). To beat a thrust, u have to use teleport's advantage which is speed. I personaly use Thrust for 1v1s, but teleport for other modes. Some1 that thrusts in the middle of a 12 ppl ffa gets focused faster then if u use teleport.

MY T spell analysis: Bouncer, is recommanded for people who are good aimers only, or its w0rthless, but its an awesome spell. Fire spray untoggled,they always say its underpowered cuz it does less dmg and etc etc, while the real problem is that its hard to hit. If you could ALWAYS hit that fire spray, it would be problably better then other T spells. Fire spray toggled, is really good. Good dmg and all. Drain untoggled, is good but if u use it in combos.and drain toggled, is really good If you know how to usee it.
So, i suggest fire spray untoggled, drain untoggled, if u can combo it. And also, bouncer if u can aim really well,(which is not the case of most players) and drain toggled, if you know what ur doing.

My E spell analysis: Windwalk, is great to control the middle, or to killsteal, with the high knockback combos(ww+light, ww+fire ball...)Invisibility, can be somewhat good, but i have seen only 1-2 players use it good, and still, imo they could ahve done better with other spells. I dont suggest meteor to anyone, its reaslly hard to aim, and u need to put a lot of gold on it to make it awesome. Magma, is great spell, nothing to say.And splitter untoggled, is awesome, easy to hit, and can be in combos. I dont suggest u take toggled splitter, unless u want to make the nubomb(grav+splitt). So, i suggest , magma, splitter untoggled, and windwalk untoggled.

My C spell analysis: Imo, those spells are all good, but some are just easier to use then others. Shield is effective and easy to use. Timeshift, ive seen pretty much 1 or 2 players use it right. And rush, can be really great in "early game builds",cuz of its really low price. But, i suggest shield, unless you really know what ur doing.

My Y spell analysis:Link, is the best spell in game if you use it well. I havnt seen many of them, none on east.(in these days...)Link untoggled, if u use it like regular link, it will suck. You have to use it differently. The damage when its linked on a pillar/ally is great. It dosnt damage you RIGHT AWAY, u still have some seconds before it damages you. Entagle, in the new version, its great. But once again, its for people who can aim it right. If you can aim well/know when to use it, its godlike. Gravity untoggled, is good to make spells easier to hit. Gravity toggled, imo, is THE right spell to use if u want to use one in 1v1.I suggest you take, it, imo.

So basically, try what you like, and then ask a "pro" player for advices on what you should and shouldnt use.
Back to top Go down
UnleashChaos
Administrator
UnleashChaos

PostSubject: Re: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks Whiskey it's great to have more than one opinion.

Quote :
I dont suggest u take toggled splitter, unless u want to make the nubomb(grav+splitt).
I Lol'd Very Happy

And rush, can be really great in "early game builds",cuz of its really low price
Kimed is doing fkin great with it >.>

Good analysises overall, but i dont agree with your swap critic.
And i don't know if you know Ashley121 but she's doing great with a mere combo : Meteor (untoggled) and Force Field :O it surprised me and it's freaking annoying.
Back to top Go down
Whiskey
The Legend

PostSubject: Re: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 11:34 am

If you dont agree, then u problably didnt ttry the swap in 96?Cuz i was talking about that one.
and, meteor untoggled, is good with gravity(both modes) and drain untoggled. Still, as i said, to make it good u need a lot of gold.
Cuz i was talking about that one.
Back to top Go down
UnleashChaos
Administrator
UnleashChaos

PostSubject: Re: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 10:21 pm

oh i see
Back to top Go down
UnleashChaos
Administrator
UnleashChaos

PostSubject: Re: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am

Waiting the hotfix to put the 096 version of that topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to choose your spells   How to choose your spells I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to choose your spells
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Warlocks :: Strategies-
Jump to: